Blog and Roll
With his handwritten notes at the ready, ten-time Golden Mike award winner Rich Marotta delivers daily his fast paced, articulate and always entertaining sports updates. Since 1991, as KFI's sports authority, Rich writes and broadcasts seven morning sports updates on Bill Handel.
Rich's input on Bill Handel is not limited to his much respected sports updates however as Rich is often called on by Bill to give his unique perspective on news and current events. Rich also takes every possible opportunity to mention how much he loves the music of Bruce Springsteen.
In 2011, Rich received the high honor of induction into two Halls of Fame. In January, he became only the 26th inductee into the Southern California Sportscasters Hall of Fame. Then in June, he was inducted into the California Boxing Hall of Fame.
Spending three years with the Los Angeles Kings, 11 years with the NFL's Los Angeles Raiders and four years with the NBA's Los Angeles Clippers makes Rich the only sportscaster ever to have been a part of the regular broadcast teams of three major league sports franchises in Los Angeles.
Rich is a four-time Emmy award winner for his television work on KCAL doing boxing ringside color commentary and Raiders preseason play-by-play. Also, as ringside commentator for FOX Sports Net's weekly Sunday Night Fights, KCAL's Fight Night and host of Rich Marotta's Neutral Corner boxing talk show on AM 570, he is considered one of the nation's foremost boxing experts. It is no wonder the L.A. Daily News called Rich Marotta "L.A.'s most versatile sportscaster."
Rich was recently named recipient of the Sam Taub Award, given annually to the "Broadcaster of the Year" by the Boxing Writers Association of America. Rich has two children, Angela and Joey. He is married to the lovely "Helen of England."
This blog may contain profanity and/or material considered inappropriate. The views expressed in this blog are the opinions of the individual writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of KFI AM-640 and Clear Channel Radio.
L.A. Kings goalie JonathanQuick tells The Petros and Money Show on the possibility of having a Frozen Freeway Series against the Anaheim Ducks: "You don't really assume anything especially this time of year, but after we won, a lot of the interviews that we went through were kinda focused around us playing the Ducks.
We knew they were pretty good chance that we would've ended up playing them." He added, "We also knew that San Jose is sitting there waiting and there's a chance we're going to play them."
Read more at AM570 Fox Sports LA
I spent the last half of April fully ensconced in my rock and roll persona. I attended concerts of Foreigner, Joe Bonamassa and Bon Jovi. Three concerts in three cities in one week! Fully exhausted from that ordeal, I then embarked on vacation. I'll be off until my return on May 6.
Now however, having put the concerts behind me, its time to put on my other hat, my boxing hat. I'll be headed to
Since then he has been incarcerated for two months, spent a lot of time gambling and at the strip clubs, the kinds of things that can eat away a little at a fighters reflexes. Thats not to say Mayweather hasn't trained hard, he has. However, he is a guy who has depended so much on his quickness and reflexes, and just a little attrition in those areas can make it tougher on him. Second, Guerrero is a good fighter, with ability to adjust, and right at his peak. Two nights before the fight, I am holding my first ever fan event with the non-profit organization I founded last year, the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame. It will be held at Diego's Restaurant in the
If you are headed to the Mayweather-Guerrero bout, or just going to Vegas, please plan to make the NVBHOF "Night With Boxing's Legends" event part of your activities. Tickets are only $20 in advance, $25 at the door. For full information, go to our website.
Last October, then-unbeaten Mike Alvarado was stopped in the seventh round after a bloody, Fight-of-the-Year-caliber clash with an undefeated Brandon Rios. On Saturday, Alvarado avenged that loss by taking Rios' '0' by unanimous decision at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas.
Out of 22 experts who were polled by RingTV regarding what would happen in the second bout, Rios (31-1-1, 23 knockouts) was almost unanimously predicted to beat Alvarado (34-1, 23 KOs), yet again. Only Rich Marotta, of KFI Radio in Los Angeles, chose Alvarado to be the victor.
Read more at the Ring
BANDS I WANT TO RE-UNITE
1. Dire Straits
MY FAVORITE ALL-TIME NON-SPRINGSTEEN CONCERTS
1. Led Zeppelin, Santana, John Mayall (1970, Pasadena)
2. The Eagles (Lake Tahoe, 2007)
3. Beach Boys, Santana, Fleetwood Mac, (1975, Denver)
MY FAVORITE DRUMMERS (living)
1. Neal Peart (Rush)
2. Stewart Copeland (The Police)
MY FAVORITE DRUMMERS (dead)
1. Keith Moon (The WHO)
2. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
3. Jeff Porcaro (Toto)
MY FAVORITE GUITARISTS (living)
2. Mark Knopfler
3. Tom Morello
MY FAVORITE GUITARISTS (dead)
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Stevie Ray Vaughn
3. Duane Allman
MOST OVERRATED GUITARISTS
1. Keith Richards
2. John Mayer
3. Lindsey Buckingham
MOST UNDERRATED GUITARISTS
1. Nils Lofgren
2. Rory Gallagher
3. David Gilmour
MY FAVORITE "LIVE"
1. Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band - The Springsteen experience is the "LIVE" experience. Still putting on 3-4 hour concerts, and the one-time 7-man group has grown to 18 complete with horn section and back-up singers. They play until they wear you out.
2. Flogging Molly - Still flying under the radar, but constantly on a world tour that sells out wherever they go. Irish rock band that puts pedal to metal on first song of a concert and never lets up. Their concerts are incredibly intense. Heavy rock, and thats with a violin, tin whistle, and banjo.
3. U-2 If they are on tour, they are a must see. Same guys, all talented, same meaningful lyrics, and Bono is a presence on stage.
4. Bon Jovi - The one hair band from the 80's that was a lot more than being a hair band. Their live show is polished and they always deliver.
5. The Eagles - Almost too good, too perfect. Harmonies exquisite, lots of hits, Joe Walsh is a gas.
6. Foo Fighters - An amazing invention of Dave Grohl, who is one of the great singular talents of the rock era. Very intense show, very loud and more than very good.
7. Green Day - These dudes rock. Went from being punk to more mainstream, yet it hasn't dulled their sound, vision or passion.
8. The Killers - Fantastic group out of Vegas that seems to be appreciated more in
9. The WHO - Still on top of it, and just opening a new tour now featuring Quadrapehnia and their hits. Used to be more raw and edgier, but they're sound is actually better now, at least when Daltry can hit the high notes.
10. Mumford and Sons - This band is blowing up! The most unusual group on the list. No drummer, but it doesn't slow them down. Great interaction with fans
11. Arcade Fire - Not as well-known as the others but tremendous live performers. Big group, and everyone gets a chance to shine.
12. Dropkick Murphys - Another Irish rock group. Like Flogging Molly except actually harder. Tough guys, tough words. big sound.
Haven't done any rock and roll lists for you for all couple of years. So this week, let's check in. The one qualification is they have to be alive and still out there rocking!
First up: My Ten Favorite Female Rock Artists
1. Chrissie Hynde (amazing voice, most attitude, still wearing those tight jeans)
2. Stevie Nicks (most unique voice, still lookin' and soundin' great, whether solo or with Fleetwood Mac)
3. Joan Jett (A true rocker, great show that leaves you exhausted but wanting more)
4. Ann and Nancy Wilson (how do you separate them? Heart still relevant)
5. Debbie Harry ( Most beautiful face in rock history, Blondie still on tour, and its a good show)
6. Shirley Manson in Garbage ( A bit strange, but truly commands the stage)
7. Pat Benatar (Great sneering attitude, great vids, great sense of rock)
8. Dido ( Most alluring, writes great songs about her own experiences)
9. Alanis Morrisette (Has grown up to a mature show, but one with still lots of excitement
10. Melissa Etheridge (Sings straigaht out rock, strong voice, and she loves Bruce Springsteen)