A Connecticut lawyer has filed a request to sue the state for $100 million on behalf of a 6-year-old girl who survived the Newtown, Conn., school shooting.
“Jill Doe was a student on the premises who heard all of the subject events as they were occurring, including conversations, gunfire, and screaming, and including so much of said events as were being transmitted through an intercom or public address system in the school,” attorney Irving Pinsky of New Haven, Conn., wrote in the filing.
The girl and her parents are identified only as Jill, John and Jane Doe in the filing.
On Dec. 14, gunman Adam Lanza, 20, killed 20 children and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School before turning the gun on himself. Earlier that morning, he had also killed his mother at home.
Pinsky said the potential lawsuit is not about money, but about principle and preventing future tragedies.
“My main concern here is to stop this from happening again and we’ve had a lot of mass murders in America,” he told ABCNews.com. “We’re trying to get school security upgraded in Connecticut and nationally.” More at ABC News