Personnel files of Los Angeles Archdiocese Roman Catholic priests accused of sexual molestation will be released to the public within the next few months, an archdiocese lawyer said Wednesday.
The release follows a decision by the California Supreme Court on Wednesday to deny an attempt by individual priests to keep the records private.
J. Michael Hennigan, an attorney for the archdiocese, said the church agreed as part of a 2006 settlement to release the personnel files of several dozen accused priests. The archdiocese paid $660 million to settle more than 500 lawsuits filed by people who said they had been sexually abused by priests.
"We have already selected the documents that are going to be released, gone through a process of redacting innocent names and we need a court order" signing off on the release of the documents, Hennigan said.
Read more at the LA Times