3 cups Vanilla Coke®
3 pinches of salt, divided use
1 1/2 tablespoon butter, unsalted, divided use
16 pecan halves
2 teaspoons sugar
1 egg, large, whole
3 egg whites, large
1/4 cup skim milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 loaf egg bread (Challah), about 1 pound, sliced to (8) - 1/2" slices
As needed, fat-free non-stick cooking spray
1. Place soda in a saucepan over medium-high heat and reduce to a little more
than 1/2 cup, about 25-30 minutes. While simmering add a pinch of salt and
whisk in 1/2-tablespoon butter. Simmer for 2-3 additional minutes, whisking
occasionally until syrup is reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove from heat and hold syrup
at room temperature. The syrup should be made just before serving, without
2. Place a small non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add pecans and stir or toss
until pecans begin to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, add 1
tablespoon butter and stir or toss to coat pecans. Return pan to heat and
sprinkle pecans with sugar and 1 pinch of salt. Stir or toss while cooking until a
light caramel forms about 2-4 minutes. Turn pecans onto a sheet pan lightly
coated with cooking spray. Cool and break apart, if necessary.
3. In a mixing bowl whisk together eggs, skim milk, a pinch of salt and cinnamon,
if using. Set aside.
4. Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and coat lightly with cooking
spray. Dip bread in egg mixture until coated on both sides; drain excess. Cook
to light golden brown on first side, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook second side.
Remove and hold warm. Repeat with remaining sliced bread.
5. Serve French toast with syrup and candied pecans.