Everyday it seems that today’s youth are coming up with challenges that are deadlier than ever! First there was the ‘cinnamon challenge. Then there was the ‘hot sauce challenge’. Now, a 19-year-old has survived a dangerous sodium overdose after drinking more than a quart of soy sauce on a dare!
After drinking a quart of the sodium-heavy condiment, the teenager slipped into coma with seizure-like activity. He was rushed to the hospital, where doctors determined he was suffering from hypernatremia, a metabolic condition in which there is a salt imbalance in the bodily fluids.
Eventually doctors determined that he had ingested 160 to 170 grams of sodium from the soy sauce, a potentially lethal dose for his weight and build. He had effectively overdosed on sodium.
While death from sodium is incredibly rare, it is not unheard of. Read more at Yahoo! News